Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Sad, Sad Day for Lisa...



Raspberries are my FAVORITE! Yes, they are. I would do ANYTHING to have a lovely crop of raspberries growing in my yard. I cringe every time I go to buy them at the grocery store...they are so expensive! So, imagine my joy when I found out that the vine on my fence wasn't a grapevine as I originally thought, but a raspberry cane! Woo Hoo! Free raspberries! The problem was that there were weeds in front of my raspberry cane that were taller than me. You think I'm kidding? I wish I had pictures for proof. So, my wonderful husband went out 2 days ago to pull out those annoying weeds, so I could get to my lovely raspberries.

He did a great job.

Then, a terrible feeling suddenly washed over me. What if, what if those gargantuan weeds, the ones right in front of my raspberry cane, what if they hadn't been weeds at all? It was too late anyway, if I went online to check, it would only cause me more misery...but I couldn't let it go! I checked.

Guess what they were?

They were new raspberry canes. Oh the weeping and wailing, and sad little pathetic me. Oh, my lovely baby raspberry plants, dying in a heap in a pile in the corner of my yard. I even made a last ditch effort to run out and see if I could plant them in again somehow, but it was a complete loss. Oh, my heart!

I'm sure my neighbors think we're idiots!

And, these were the only sad pitiful raspberries I could salvage. And to make it worse, I soaked them in water and they turned this nasty mottled color.

I threw them out...and I'm still healing from the pain.

No comments: