Drum roll please................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................BRIBERY!
Ha Ha Hee Hee...Come on, did you really think I knew something you didn't? Nope, just a plain old mom, doing the best I can...but, we've really been struggling lately with getting the kids to stop yelling, pinching, kicking, fighting, hurting, etc...It's come to a head at the end of this summer, and Brian and I have had ENOUGH...so, we pulled out the bribery card...and so far, it's working!
For family home evening this week, we came up with a plan. We had a lesson on things we could do to show love for our family members. Then we made a "super kid" jar, telling the children that they'll have the opportunity to be super kids this week (and hopefully for many more weeks to come.) So, we bought some m n m's, and each kid has been assigned a different color. All this week, if they do anything nice to show love for someone else, they get one of their color candies put in the jar. Also, if they do anything nasty, they get one taken out. On Friday night, we will count the candies. Who ever has the most candies in the jar gets to rent the video OF THEIR CHOICE for "super sleep-over." (Every Friday night for the last couple years, we've had super sleep-over...the kids get to stay up as late as they want and play video games and watch movies. Picking the movie is a coveted responsibility!) They also get to eat all the candies they earned for the week.
So, today, I've noticed a huge improvement in my children's attitudes. Really, it's working! If I only would've known that a few candies in a jar would help them to stop punching each other, and start hugging each other randomly instead...this summer would have been a whole lot less cranky!
No comments:
Post a Comment