Sunday, August 3, 2008

Presley Vacation 2008...

Yep, we did it! We actually went on a real vacation. It's the first real vacation we've been on in 3 years, maybe more. Who knows how we did it, looking back, but we all survived, and I'm here now to share our story with you... We drove down to stay with my mom and dad for the first night, because we needed to drop our old beater of a car off at the only mechanic we trust to fix it...which happens to be in Pullman. (My mom and dad live right outside of Pullman.) We all made beds on the floor and slept there on Sunday night...well...most of us slept.

Can you guess what that is? It's a hospital bracelet...yep, when I said most of us slept, that meant everyone except me and Nathan, because we were in the emergency room in the Colfax, Wa hospital. Can you tell what kind of vacation this is turning out to be? Great start, right? Everything is good with Nathan now, he just couldn't sleep because he was in a lot of pain. To put it nicely, he had a wee problem. Well, it guess it was more like a wee-wee problem. Not very pleasant to talk about, and it really wasn't a huge deal, but he wasn't sleeping, and I wasn't sleeping, and I needed the dr to help us both relax. So, he gave him a heavy dose of benedryl to knock him out and sent us on our way...Like I said, things are great now, but it kind of made me wonder if this was going to be worth it.

We decided to go for it, so we headed down to Portland, Oregon...
On the way, we drove by this... Yes, that is a semi-truck wrapped around the front of a train. It was not a nice feeling to see it.

So, a few pit stops later, we finally made it to Portland. We made a special trip to go and see my grandma Martin. She lives in Lake Oswego, and it's been years since we've seen her. It was so nice. I was glad she got to see the kids in person.

So, after our quick trip there, we headed out for the "meat and potatoes" portion of our trip; the "piece de resistance"; the big, fat juicy cherry on the top of our hot fudge sundae! The BEACH! Bring on the sun! Bring on the sand! Bring on the...rain

...but what would the oregon coast be without a little downpour now and then? At least the cloud coverage made for some good portrait shots...

We continued until we reached our beachy destination...Newport, Oregon. We stayed at the Shilo Inn. We should've been so excited to be there, but I think we were all just so tired of being in the darn car! This kindof explains how we were all feeling by that time...
I could tell we were all on edge when, after unloading luggage for all 7 of us, Brian so pleasantly announced, "This isn't vacation! This is HELL!" I just smiled...Luckily, it got better. The next day, the sun came out and we finally headed to the beach.

It was so wonderful to feel the ocean spray on my face again, the sea salt in the air! I can't tell you how happy it made me.

We made a trip over to the Oregon Aquarium...Matthew is obsessed with sharks, so it was so exciting for him, and for us to see him so excited.

We continued on to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, and then on up the coast to see my old hang out...Arch Cape, Oregon...I lived there when I was a freshman/sophmore in high school.


...more from my old beach in arch cape... I haven't had many opportunities to make new memories with my children in places I used to make memories when I was a child...It was wonderful...thanks to my loving best friend and husband, Brian, who drove out of his way so I could do it. I love you!

Well, I promised you some hillarious and intense stories, but to be honest, man...this is taking FOREVER! So, I'm going to be a little lame, and just plug in some photos for the rest of this entry. To fill you in on some highlights...Matt got to poop outside "like an animal" for the first time, and we took the kids to a pizza buffet where, when we left, we found out that Nathan had been sitting in diarrhea (his own...at least that's good, I guess) the whole time. Seriously, like from his knees to his neck...lovely. Other than that, it was a pretty darn nice trip! Thanks for sharing the memories with us...Til next time!



2 comments:

Shannon said...

Do all vacations with young kids end up with at least one ER bracelet??

Thanks so much for the photos! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm so glad you got to relive some of your childhood memories with your kids. That's such a great feeling! And I'm glad you got to feel some salt spray on your face :)

Melinda Leavitt said...

It looks like you had a very memorable vacay! It made me miss the ocean too...hopefully we'll be able to make a trip like that soon. Love you. Miss you.